Should I Take Wheatgrass Juice or Pills?


I've recently been asked about the little green pills of dried wheatgrass, and how they stand up to freshly squeezed wheatgrass juice. I guess the answer depends on who you ask. According to nearly all wheatgrass aficionados I know, the fresh stuff is always better than frozen, dried, or bottled wheatgrass. Many experts claim that some of the key nutrients present in wheatgrass juice deteriorate rapidly just after juicing, so they claim that it is best to drink it within minutes of juicing.

Yet according to the company that sells the wheatgrass pills, their stuff is nutritionally superior to the fresh pressed juice. This in turn makes it tough to tell who is right. Personally, I prefer the fresh juice. I normally drink about 4 ounces each morning, which would be equivalent to 28 of their pills. Since I grow it myself, the cost is minimal -- only a few cents per shot, but even if you buy this big bottle of 500 wheatgrass pills, this amount works out to $1.79 for the same amount (28 pills), or 45 cents per shot. Yes, this is still much cheaper than buying shots at the juice bar at $2 a pop, but I guess the real question is whether it is as good for your body. The next time I go for a trip I will try chomping down on wheatgrass pills for a week and report back on the results.

My recommendation: If you have the time and enjoy growing and juicing wheatgrass yourself, do that. If you really don't have any time to juice wheatgrass yourself, or are travelling, wheatgrass or barley grass tablets would be make a fine choice.

1 comment:

Stylelique said...

wheatgrass in it's juice form is obviously more nutritious. Although if that is not an option, pill form would be second best. Whatever you are taking wheatgrass is amazing and has many benifits for many things, as well as overall health